In this game designed for Android Google Play, help save Mo from the destruction of his home. Escape the cave-in by running and jumping over rolling boulders and falling stalactites to earn a high score. The longer the run, the higher the score!
My role was primarily to help build mechanics for the game, and also to serve as the level designer for it. For the programming of the game I worked with one other and some of the features that I implemented were the parallax, sound systems, and UI controls.
While working on the project I learned a lot about working with a team for an entire semester. Up until this project when I worked as a group it was just for one project that would last a few weeks but this project was different, I had to work with the same individuals for several months. I feel this was a great experience and at the beginning of the project we were still working out communication but by the end of the project we had completely worked out how to efficiently communicate with one another.
Resolution: If we were given more time to work on the game one of the things we would improve upon would be making the game more presentable in a 4:3 layout.
Additional Level: The new level would consist of new obstacles for the player to jump over and would be a continuous loop until the game ends.
Expand on Stair Mechanics: Given more time, we would work on the transition between levels to add more effects that will enhance gameplay for the player.
Contrariis is a 2D, two player sidescroller devoted to the theme of bipolar disorder. Each player plays as one of two characters - either Depression or Mania (names pending). Depression is chased by a dark entity and attempts to evade and survive while Mania provides support through unlocking doors, healing, buffing, and providing alternate paths.
My role for this assignment was to create a prototype of a level for the character Depression. I started with creating the initial design in Photoshop. When I was finished with it I moved the level into Unity where I added colliders and a player for the level to be tested with.
With the particular project I learned about moving level assets from Photoshop to Unity. I had to split up the original artwork into a background and then the ground for the player to stand on. I have done this in the past but this is the first time I made the artwork myself and had to split it up into different layers.
"Did You Hear That?" was a project that made use of 3D audio technology via a 3Dio binaural microphone. The player was greeted by positive stimuli once he/she successfully tracked sounds via Microsoft's Kinect 2.
For this particular project I served as both the team lead and the lead programmer. Additionally, I helped create the documentation for the experience. As the team lead it was my job to ensure that the programming tasks were met as well as the audio recording. As the lead programmer I was directly working with Unity and the Kinect 2 API to produce the tracking of the user's hands while they follow the sounds they hear in 3D space.
I have never worked with the Kinect before so this is definitely a fun (and somewhat frustrating) learning experience. I say that because there is a ton of code that makes the Kinect work the way it does, so working with it is somewhat of a hassle. While working on this project I also learned a lot about binaural audio and how to integrate it with Unity objects to simulate the audio moving in 3D space.
Super Hyper Punch is a throwback to classic 80's arcade fighting games. Players use their punches to fly around the arena as they attempt to land a single punch on their opponent to achieve victory. Super Hyper Punch will also be housed in an actual arcade cabinet, to remain true to its retro arcade influences.
My role was to help the programming team complete tasks. Specifically I worked on health and energy for the game, along with shader scripts to give the screens a CRT TV filter.
While working on the project I learned a lot about working with arcade controllers. It was different working with a controller that had so many buttons. Since the game is a one-punch knockout game all of the buttons were mapped to left and right shift respectively making it so no matter what button the player pressed they would punch.
This game is a small-scale 3rd person shooter in which the player directs a little robot through a 2D testing environment. The player is the guinea pig for a weapon testing experiment and they have to fight their way through enemies while picking up procedurally generated guns to test.
There are different categories for weapons ranging from common quality (starting gun) to legendary and the stats are randomized depending on the rarity of the weapon. The player also has access to an inventory system where they can swap between weapons they pick up.
I primarily focused on the inventory system but I also worked on the ui and level design. From the inventory players can move, drop, or inspect their weapons.
What I learned was mainly how to craft an inventory system. I have never done that before so it was really cool to be able to make an inventory.
This is a mini-game I designed for my game engine programming class. The mini-game features: procedural generation of terrain, A* pathfinding, an NPC and player that race to reach a flag, the first one to reach it gains a point, the flag is moved to a random position, and the race resumes and lastly the first side to reach 5pts wins.
Because the project was a solo mini-game for a class I implemented the programming and design for the game on my own. However, the art assets were taken from Unity's asset store.
While working on the project I mainly learned about the creation of terrain procedurally and about A* pathfinding. This was a great experience overall and I believe I became a stronger programmer because of it.